Holbrook Unified's nursing staff are primarily concerned with the health and wellness of your student. Our school nurses provide health services for students with health needs, education for students and staff, and health screenings (hearing/vision). School nursing is a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success, and life-long achievement and health of students. (NASN, 2010)
The school nurse:
- Promotes health and safety of students and faculty, including promoting a healthy learning environment
- Assesses the health status of students and provide emergency and first aid care, as well as injury and disease prevention
- Actively collaborates with others to teach families and students self-management, self-advocacy, and understanding of their medical conditions
The Holbrook Unified School District school nurses are registered nurses who provide nursing care and referral for medical care, as well as management of acute and chronic health conditions. This may include, but is not limited to, asthma and diabetes education and monitoring, and infectious disease reporting. HUSD school nurses do not provide primary care. However, they can do follow-up monitoring, based on written doctor’s orders. A doctor’s order is required for any specialized intervention.
School nurses oversee the following areas as well:
- Immunization: Arizona state law requires that all students have proof of adequate immunization or documented exemption in order to attend school. Lack of proof will delay school enrollment.
- Health Screening: Vision, dental and hearing screenings are part of the periodic health examination in schools. It is highly recommended that all students have an annual physical. It is also recommended that all kindergartners get a comprehensive eye examination from an ophthalmologist or optometrist.
- Health Education: Health education encourages students to learn behaviors that promote, maintain, and restore health.
- Community Outreach: The school nurse promotes family and community participation in assuring a healthy school and serves as school liaison to families and community groups.